Honda EU2200i Review: Great Inverter Generator
Want to learn more?
|HONDA EU2200i BASIC SPECIFICATIONS|
|Running Watts:||1,800||Starting Watts:||2,200|
|Engine Type:||Honda GXR120||Voltage:||120 VAC & 12 VDC|
|Length:||20.0" (50.8 cm)||Width:||11.4" (28.9 cm)|
|Height:||16.7" (42.4 cm)||Weight:||46.5 lb (21.09 kg)|
As you can see in the table above, the Honda EU2200i is an inverter type generator that runs on gasoline. It produces 1,800 running and 2,200 starting (or surge) watts.
This unit has both AC (120V) and DC (12V) outlets. Thanks to its compact size and a small weight, the EU2200i is perfect for RV-ing, traveling, and recreation.
Before we continue to our detailed analysis of individual parts of EU2200i generator, you should get your hands on owner´s manual. There is a lot of useful information about this unit.
Body of EU2200i
When looking that the main covers and body of the EU2200i, we have to say that this unit is built with a better focus on the comfort of its users. Although the frame and main covers are made out of plastic, the overall built is sturdy.
This unit has a compact size:
- 20.0″ (50.8 cm) Length
- 11.4″ (28.9 cm) Width
- 16.7″ (42.4 cm) Height
- 46.5 lb (21.09 kg) Weight
There is a briefcase handle on the top of this generator that allows for easy transportation and storage. Also, you will find a plastic fuel filler cap and a vent lever there.
On the bottom of this unit, there are four circular, flat “feet” that are keeping the body of your generator slightly elevated above the ground. Sadly, we doubt these will prevent your generator from sinking into soft ground. That is why we recommend placing this unit always on a firm and flat surface.
Two red maintenance covers provided are easy to remove to perform the necessary maintenance. One is on the left side and allows comfortable access to the oil filler cap and air filter. The other one is on the top and offers easy access to the spark plug.
The front side of this unit has a control panel with outlets while the back side has a muffler with a spark arrestor. The plastic covers all around this unit have venting holes that provide for more effective cooling.
The best part? Operational contact points on this unit are color-coded in grey, so the user does not get confused or lost when starting this unit.
The EU2200i is equipped with a gasoline powered Honda GXR120 engine that provides superb durability and reliability. This is an air-cooled, single cylinder, 4-stroke, overhead camshaft type of engine that has a displacement of 121 cubic centimeters and provides 3.6 horsepower.
This engine can only be started by a manual recoil pull start.
Thanks to the automatic mechanical decompressor system, the amount of force needed to start the engine is significantly reduced. Also, the recoil area has been improved and reinforced to minimize the potential damage that can be done to the body of this unit during the starting process.
The GXR120 engine is lightweight, compact, extremely quiet, has automatic low-oil shutoff protection, and also a carburetor with a fuel filter to avoid its clogging by impurities.
In general, we consider Honda engines to be one of the best on the market.
As already mentioned, the EU2200i by Honda is an inverter type of generator that produces 1,800 running and 2,200 starting watts. The generated power is a single phase with 120 volts AC and has a frequency of 60 Hertz.
Thanks to the integrated high-speed combination of flywheel/alternator and the special microprocessor, the produced power is very clean and has a stable “sine wave”.
Actually, the total harmonic distortion is less than 3%. This way, you can also run the most sensitive electronics such as laptops or computers without causing interruptions or damage to your appliances.
Not only that, this machine can generate unregulated 12 volts DC power.
As already mentioned, the control panel is easily accessible at the front side of this generator. Right there, the first thing that you will notice is the Eco-Throttle switch. This is an excellent feature that reduces fuel consumption and automatically adapts the engine´s rotations to the actual load.
Also, there is a grounding terminal and three indicators:
- Oil Alert – This red light indicator goes on in case the oil level in the crankcase goes beyond the safe level. Once this indicator goes on, your generator should automatically turn off.
- Overload Alarm – The second red light indicator turns on if your generator is overloaded. After approximately four seconds, the current to your appliances will shut off while the engine will continue to run.
- Output Indicator – The last indicator is green and signals that the generator is producing electrical power at all outlets. It also blinks according to the cumulative run time of your generator.
The control panel also provides three outlets. There are two 120V AC outlets (15A) and one 12V DC outlet (8.3A). The DC outlet provides unregulated output and is suitable only for charging of automotive batteries.
Just keep in mind that these outlets are not GFCI protected.
The best part? The Honda EU2200i also has parallel operation outlets that enable for connecting two units. This way, you can easily double the amount of power you will be able to get. Just see this guide for parallel connection first.
One thing we have noticed about the EU2200i control panel is the fact that both the circuit protectors and the Eco-Throttle switch are small so they may be hard to press/operate with work gloves on your hands.
As already pointed out, the Honda EU2200i runs on gasoline. This generator is equipped with a 0.95-gallon plastic gas tank. The plastic fuel filler cap is located on the top of this generator and includes a vent lever.
Under the filler cap, there is a fuel filter that catches any debris or dirt that could get into your gasoline at refueling. There is also a red, upper fuel level mark that is easy to read and will prevent you from overfilling your generator.
This unit can run for 3.2 hours at full load (or 8.1 hours at 25% load).
Also, there is a manual fuel shutoff valve built into the engine switch itself. Despite two basic on and off positions, you now have a fuel-off option that stops the flow of fuel into the carburetor. Your generator will continue to run until it has no fuel and stops. This is an excellent feature that minimizes the carburetor issues after extended storage.
There are only two things we do not like about this generator with regards to its fuel system; it lacks the fuel gauge and electronic fuel injection system.
One of the most impressive features of EU2200i we observed was its ability to run silently. Thanks to the compact built, noise-reducing materials and an effective muffler, this unit produces only 48 dBA at 25% load (58 dBA at 100% load).
Also, the muffler is equipped with an USDA-qualified spark arrestor, so chances of setting dry vegetation on fire are minimized. This way, you can safely operate EU2200i even in nature.
What is more, the engine of this generator has both EPA (the United States Environmental Protection Agency) and a stricter CARB (California Air Resources Board) compliance certifications with regards to the number of emissions produced.
Sadly, Honda did not build a voltage-meter nor a precise hour-meter into the EU2200i. Also, provided outlets are not GFCI protected.
The EU2200i generator has a compact built and completely enclosed body. This makes the regular maintenance a little bit more complicated as there is not too much space for your tools. Despite this fact, the designers of this unit created a relatively user-friendly machine.
There are two main maintenance covers.
The one on the left side of this generator provides easy access to the oil fill opening. It is bigger and therefore easier to fill. It also has a longer spout and larger oil drain gutter. This will help you not to make a mess while draining your old fuel.
There is another maintenance cover on the top of this unit that is easy to remove. Under it, you will find a spark plug that is relatively easy to replace as there is enough space to put a socket or a spark plug wrench on it.
Actually, you will need to perform the following maintenance plan:
- You should check the oil level every time you are going to start and use this generator.
- You will need to replace oil after the first month or first 20 hours of run time and then every 6 months or 100 hours (whichever comes first).
- You need to check and inspect air filters before each use.
- You will also need to clean your air filters every three months or 50 hours of run time.
- Do not forget to check the gap of your spark plug every 6 months or 100 hours.
- Replace your spark plug every year or 200 hours of run time.
- Cleaning the spark arrester should be done every 6 months or 100 years.
There are some other recommended procedures that are more complicated and will require a servicing dealer or a Honda professional, such as:
- Checking or adjusting the valve clearance every year or 200 hours.
- Cleaning of the combustion chamber every 300 hours.
- Cleaning fuel tank and fuel filter every year or 200 run hours.
- Checking fuel lines (and replacing if necessary) every 2 years.
It is recommended to use only Honda genuine parts for maintenance to prolong the lifetime of your generator. However, these parts are on the expensive side. So in the end, it highly depends on your budget.
The last thing we need to look at is a warranty provided by the manufacturer.
Among generators, the two-year warranty is a standard. However, Honda has decided to provide an impressive, 3-year warranty on both residential and commercial use. This means that in the period of 3 years after the initial purchase of this machine, Honda will repair or replace any part that is defective in material or workmanship.
This way, you can be sure that your financial investment into the EU2200i is well protected.
See User Reviews
If you really want to know how well does any generator perform, you should take a look at reviews made by other people who have bought it. So, do not forget to look at Amazon “Verified Purchase” customer reviews.
EU2200i VIDEO SECTION
We believe that seeing is more than reading. That is why we have created this video section. If you want to see more videos by Honda, then have a look at the list below:
- Honda EU2200i Generator Oil Change Procedure
- Honda EU2200i Generator Storage
- Honda EU2200i Generator Maintenance
- Honda EU2200i Generator Parallel and DC Charging
- Honda EU2200i Generator Unpacking and Setup
There is a lot of information in these videos that will help you to understand this generator better.
In general, Honda generators are considered to be the best machines on the market. After critically assessing the EU2200i model, we have identified several features worth pointing out:
- Small & lightweight inverter – This unit has a compact size and low dry weight. This makes it perfect for those of you who are often on the move and need a small power source while camping or RV-ing.
- Extremely quiet (48 – 58 dBA) – The EU2200i is one of the quietest inverter generators on the market. Your neighbors will thank you if you spend extra money for a quieter unit.
- Durable & reliable Honda engine – Everybody knows the name Honda. Their machines are famous for their durability and reliability. If you have extra money, go for a generator with a Honda engine.
- Clean & stable power (< 3% THD) – The total harmonic distortion is less than 3%. The produced power is stable and clean. That is why you can run even the most sensitive electronic devices with microprocessors such as laptops on EU2200i.
- Longer spout & oil drain gutter – Changing oil on smaller units that have no oil drain plug is often a messy job. Luckily, more extended spout and oil drain gutter make the oil change more comfortable.
- Fuel-off option on starting switch – Probably the best feature of EU2200i is the fuel off option on starting switch. This closes the fuel valve but will leave your machine running until it drains your carburetor. This will significantly reduce the chance of clogging your carburetor by stale gas during long term storage of your unit.
- More venting holes for better heat transfer – The body of this generator has venting holes in several places. This way, your generator can cool down and transfer heat more effectively.
- Parallel operation outlets – We love the fact that EU2200i is parallel ready. This way, you can connect two units together to double the amount of power.
As you can see, Honda made a good job designing and constructing the EU2200i generator.
Our Generatorist team has analyzed this machine. Although this machine is excellent, it is not perfect. There are some things we did not like about this unit:
- Control buttons are small – After taking a detailed look at the control panel of EU2200i, we have noticed that Eco-Throttle switch and breakers are small. This makes them harder to operate with work gloves on your hands.
- The fuel gauge is missing – We have looked all over this unit, but we have not found any fuel gauge. Luckily, the fuel tank is relatively small, so the best idea is to always top it up before starting this unit. This way you will know you have a full tank available.
- There is no voltage meter – The Honda EU2200i has no voltage meter available. This is a useful feature that will enable you to control voltage your generator is producing. Some machines may be defective and deliver an undesired amount of volts that may damage your appliances.
- The hour meter is not precise – Having an accurate hour meter will help you to plan maintenance of your generator correctly. Sadly, Honda EU2200i provides only a blinking LED light as a symbolic hour meter. The frequency of blinking will indicate the cumulative run time of your unit.
- It is expensive – Honda generators, in general, are among the most expensive units on the market. Although their engines are of excellent quality, you need to get ready to pay a lot of money.
Despite these, we still consider this generator to be one of the best generators providing less than 2,000 running watts.
Based on our detailed analysis and considering all features of the Honda EU2200i generator we can conclude that this is a perfect unit for traveling and recreation.
If you are going camping, you will find the power output of 1,800 running and 2,200 starting watts to be enough to run a vast majority of camping appliances, such as:
- Small heating appliances
- All entertainment appliances
- Blow driers
- Frying pans
- Almost every smaller kitchen appliance
Obviously, you can not run all these at the same time, but the EU2200i by Honda provides enough power to start and run each one of these (these numbers are general estimates – see your appliances for precise numbers). Thanks to its small size and easy-to-transport design this machine is perfect for camping.
If you are an enthusiastic RV-er, you will already know that this unit is too small to start and run every RV appliance. For example, you may be able to start small 13,500 BTU Roof Top AC unit, but you will have problems with anything larger.
However, if you are going camping or need a supplemental backup source of power for your RV, then the EU2200i is the perfect option for you.
About the author
Hands behind everything you see around. Matthew is the main workforce that puts all ideas into realization. So, do not feed him bad ideas.